Visitor Accommodation at Samye Ling Comprises:-¬†
- Retreat Rooms - High standard, comfortable rooms with Wifi. 15 single rooms with¬†wash basins and 1 twin with en-suite shower and toilet.
- Potala House¬†- Our very popular modern guesthouse with 30 single rooms and 1 twin room with en-suite toilet.
- Tashi Deleg House¬†- Smaller guesthouse with simple, retreat style rooms. 6 Singles and 3 twin rooms.
- Johnstone House¬†(also known as Zamsem House) - The original old building with its own self-service tea room, small library, lounge and public payphone. Dormitory beds and 3 twin rooms.
- Camping¬†- Spaces for camping in the field by the Temple for up to 35 tents. No water or electricity supplied, toilet and shower facilities in Johnstone House.
- Camper Van - Up to nine spaces in the main car park for camper vans. Use of shared facilities in Johnstone House, no water or electricity supplied.
Approx 15 minutes walk away is¬†Purelands, the location for our guided Purelands Retreats (see programme for dates). This accommodation comprises:
- Anis House¬†- Single rooms for WOMEN ONLY.
- Purelands House¬†- Single rooms only.
We respectfully ask that accommodation is booked at least¬†24hrs in advance¬†so that we can ensure that rooms are ready and available.
Breakfast usually consists of fresh fruits, non-dairy porridge, cereals, toast and spreads. For lunch the main dish will change but there are vegetables, rice and salad with a pudding which may be fresh fruit. Soup is soup, bread and spreads.
Weekend Course Timetable
Friday (course arrival day):
1.30 - 6.45pm Course Registration - Open later on busy days, information on Reception door for late arrivals.
6.00 - 7.00pm Supper
7.00 - 8.30pm Course Time
Saturday and Sundays:
10am - 12.30pm
3pm - 5.30pm.
Break times and variations in the timetable will be advised by the course leader.
Courses take place in the back of the Temple, the back of the dining room, the¬†Chenrezig Shrine Room or the Eco-House. Prayers, Dharma teachings and empowerments are held in the Temple.
All guests are welcome to attend prayer and meditation sessions.
- Please arrive by 6pm, reception will stay open late on Friday's to allow more time for arrivals. Late arrivals will find a list and map on the reception door detailing their accommodation and must check in the next day before 10am.
- Checking out the room must be cleared ready for cleaning and the key returned to reception by 11am.
- Please tidy your room and return used sheets and pillowcases to the laundry.
Five Golden Rules
To show respect for ourselves and others and to protect Samye Ling as a sacred space, Abbot, Choje Lama Yeshe Losal Rinpoche requests all who visit and stay here to follow these rules:
1. To protect life and refrain from killing.
2. To respect other's property and refrain from stealing.
3. To speak the truth and refrain from lying.
4. To embrace health and refrain from intoxicants.
5. To respect others and refrain from harmful sexual activity.
Overnight guests under 18 years of age must be accompanied by or have written permission from a parent or guardian. The minimum age for overnight guests is 16 years.¬†
Children are welcome to visit during the day but should be closely supervised at all times as there are no facilities in the monastery for children and the centre is unable to take responsibility for their well being. There is also some hazard to children in that there is building work in progress on the grounds, so it is best to be aware of this when you arrive.
Unfortunately, no pets are permitted as we have many vulnerable small animals and birds on our grounds.
We very much regret that we are unable to accept responsibility for your personal property.
Notice to campers
You are welcome to use the facilities in Johnstone House, however for tents please be aware that the camping field is some distance from bathrooms, etc. Please also bring adequate bedding, blankets, pillows, towels etc. as these are not provided by the centre.
We do not provide water or electricity at the camping site, toilets and showers facilities are provided in Johnstone House.
To assist in the smooth running of the monastery guests are respectfully asked to contribute some time each day to help out with daily chores such as washing up after lunch (please report to the kitchen at 1.15pm). But this is not compulsory.
Alcohol, illicit drugs and fishing are not permitted anywhere on Samye Ling property. Please also be aware that Samye Ling is not a drink or drug rehabilitation centre.
We endeavour to ensure your stay at Samye Ling is comfortable, enjoyable and meaningful. However Samye Ling cannot accept responsibility for the mental and physical health of people attending courses.
Please respect the quiet time at the centre after 10.00pm.
Useful things to bring
- Essential: indoor slippers, warm clothing, waterproofs, shower towel, good outdoor shoes, earplugs (if you intend to stay in a shared dormitory!) and cash if you intend to make small purchases.
- Summer visitors do need midge repellent¬†and we recommend 'Smidge' (http://midgeforecast.co.uk/smidge/about-smidge)
- Not essential but useful: Torch, flask, alarm clock.
- If camping¬†please bring adequate bedding; blankets, pillows, sleeping bags and towels.
- If you're visiting from overseas please¬†remember to bring a travel adaptor¬†to power your devices.
- Cash, we are 17 miles from the nearest cash point, please make sure you have enough for any travel (bus or taxi) and use of the payphone. Accommodation, Tearooms and shop all take card payments.
- Sufficient fuel in your vehicle; we are 17 miles from the nearest petrol station and no supplies are kept on site.